The following list contains vital information on ways to recognize a letter or parcel bomb.
LETTER AND PARCEL BOMB RECOGNITION POINTS
- Foreign mail, air mail, and/or special delivery
- Restrictive markings, such as “confidential” or “personal”
- Excessive postage
- Handwritten or poorly typed addresses
- Incorrect titles
- Titles but no names
- Misspellings of common words
- Oily stains or discoloration
- No return address
- Excessive weight
- Rigid envelope
- Lopsided or uneven envelope
- Protruding wires or tinfoil
- Excessive securing material, such as masking tape or string
- Visual distractions
ACTION TO TAKE AFTER RECEIVING A SUSPICIOUS PACKAGE OR LETTER
- DO NOT handle the package or letter.
- EVACUATE THE AREA in which the package or letter is located.
NOTIFY THE MONMOUTH UNIVERSITY POLICE DEPARTMENT AT EXTENSION x4444